Non-woven wallpaper is the most popular decoration material of the last decade. It is not only competitive in comparison with paper, vinyl or textiles, but also surpasses them in a number of indicators. To better understand this issue, consider the pros and cons of non-woven wallpaper.
What is non-woven wallpaper
This is a material for decorating walls and ceilings, made of several layers of the finest cellulose fibers intertwined. To give strength, synthetic components are introduced into its composition (not more than 30%) or treated with special compounds.
A decorative layer is applied to the non-woven substrate, which may be identical in composition to paper, vinyl, or textile.
In the manufacture of wallpaper, the coating is compressed with the base, giving the product additional strength and density
Advantages and disadvantages
This type of coating, like any other finishing material, has several advantages and disadvantages.
The positive qualities of the wallpaper are reflected in the following:
- they are made from cellulose that is harmless to humans;
- they do not absorb dust (unlike paper counterparts), therefore, are more suitable for allergy sufferers and asthmatics;
- do not require lubrication with glue, which is applied directly to the wall;
- due to the wide format they form fewer joints on the walls;
- do not get wet from glue, do not stretch and do not deform during gluing;
- air bubbles formed under them are easily removed with a rubber roller;
- well mask small cracks, bumps and other defects on the walls;
- have increased strength, so they are used longer than paper coating;
- suitable for painting, allow you to quickly change the boring color of the walls.
Old non-woven wallpaper can be easily removed from the wall before repair
Such material also has its drawbacks. The most significant of them include:
- The textured surface attracts the attention of active children and animals, which can easily spoil the appearance of the coating.
- Dust particles settle on the embossed outer layer of the material, which must be periodically removed with a vacuum cleaner or a damp cloth.
- They have a translucent texture, so they are suitable for gluing a monophonic base. If you stick the canvas on a colored surface, then dark spots will be visible through them.
- When buying models for painting, you will have to spend a certain amount on the purchase of water-based paint.
As you can see, the list of advantages of non-woven wallpaper is much more extensive than the list of their disadvantages.
Natural non-woven wallpapers are more expensive than ordinary vinyl
If for some reason non-woven wallpaper does not suit you - we offer several alternative options:
- Acrylic - are the golden mean between paper and non-woven varieties. Reminiscent of foamed vinyl, but better washed.
Acrylic based finishes have a higher density
- Paper - the most environmentally friendly and cheapest option of all available, but most of these models can not be washed.
Paper wallpapers are subject to fading in the sun.
- Vinyl - in stores they are presented with a wide range of products, including silk-screen, embossed and washable items. They do not fade, are not afraid of moisture, suitable for wet care.
Vinyl wallpapers can be purchased at an affordable price.
- Fiberglass - these varieties of coating do not burn, are resistant to various types of mechanical and chemical effects.
Fiberglass wallpaper has a wear resistant coating
- Textile - are expensive, quickly polluted, absorb odors. Their acquisition is advisable only to create a certain style in the interior and give it a luxurious look.
The main advantage of textile wallpaper is a noble and refined appearance
You can purchase pure non-woven wallpaper or options that use this material as a basis. If neither one nor the other suits you - choose from paper, vinyl, fiberglass or textile. Whatever wallpaper you choose, the main thing is that your choice is objective and balanced.