Since drywall today is actively used in decoration, both by professionals and amateurs, the theme of its finish is more relevant than ever. The secret of quality work in this case lies in the structure of this coating.
It consists of two layers of thin cardboard separated by a gypsum core. This kind of sandwich is endowed with excellent adhesive properties. Its porous structure perfectly absorbs putty, paint and various types of glue.
But at the same time, the top layer peels off quite easily with the load on the gap. Therefore, the wallpaper, which perfectly adheres to its surface, with the next repair will move away from the wall, taking it with you.
Therefore, to reduce adhesion, plaster is often applied on drywall. It not only preserves its integrity, but also eliminates unevenness, hides the inscriptions on the surface, and also makes the basis for the wallpaper layer lighter.
It will not be visible even through light topcoats.
What is the difference between vinyl wallpapers
However, when it comes to vinyl wallpapers, their dense two-layer structure reliably covers all the shortcomings of the drywall base without puttying.
And the question of the possibility of future dismantling is solved by applying a primer to the top layer of drywall. But first things first.
Vinyl cloths are glued to drywall only after its preliminary preparation.
- grouting of the joints between the drywall sheets. First, putty is putty with a putty knife, then a special reinforcing tape is glued, a docking tape is applied over it, and it is still covered with another layer of putty. Since putty dries quickly enough, all work is carried out without interruption;
- after the surface has dried, a third more fluid layer is applied and, having waited until it hardens, level it with sandpaper. Masking the joints with a special tape allows the drywall panels to expand, which will save in the future from the appearance of cracks on them;
- by the same principle corners are closed;
- it was the turn of self-tapping screws. Screw them deeper into the drywall and seal the hats with putty. After it hardens, remove excess. If the panel near the self-tapping screw is damaged, all cracks and cracks are closed with a reinforcing tape and also putty.
- At the final stage, the entire surface is covered with a primer layer or a weak adhesive solution. This will not only reduce the adhesion to the wallpaper canvas, but also remove the dust that has formed on the surface after grouting the bumps.
Now you can start finishing. Vinyl wallpapers are considered heavy in structure, so they are glued butt.
Before starting work, markup should be done based on. It will help to correctly place the canvas, eliminating the coincidence of the joints of the finish and the seams between the sheets of drywall.
The whole complex of finishing works does not require virtuosity and can be done with your own hands.
Do you think it is necessary to putty drywall before wallpapering, or can you do without an additional layer?