If the laminate boards began to diverge, the cause of this may be the formation of cracks in the screed. Such defects are easily detected after partial disassembly of the floor covering. To understand whether it is worth completely removing the laminate, you need to know about the features of screed repair and the types of cracks.
Types of cracks in the screed
When removing the laminate, surface or gaping cracks can be detected. Defects of the first type can occur during shrinkage and are often not a serious problem. Their width usually does not exceed 1 mm.
Yawning cracks become a more serious problem. Their width can be from 2 mm. Fittings may be required to seal them.
How to prepare the surface
The best option is to completely remove the laminate in the room, as during the repair process a large amount of dust will be generated. If the room is large, and the filling of cracks occurs in the area from 1 to 3 meters, you can partially remove the laminate, covering the rest of the surface with a film to protect it from dust.
But since vibration can negatively affect the lamellas, it is recommended to remove them completely.
Removing the floor will also help to detect other cracks, if any. One of the advantages of completely disassembling the surface is the ability to swap some lamellas in places. An example is the replacement of a damaged board with the one under the dresser.
Crack repair process
To eliminate surface cracks, you need to prepare the following tools:
- grinder with a disk for working on concrete;
- construction vacuum cleaner;
- spatula and brush;
To eliminate cracks, you first need to deepen them by 2-3 cm and expand to 2 cm. It is better to do this with a chamfer. If cracks have crumbling edges, they need to be cleaned. After cutting, the entire surface is treated with a vacuum cleaner.
It is worth considering that a household tool cannot be used, as this will ruin it.
After the work done, it is necessary to treat the recesses with a mixture of epoxy primer mixed with a solvent in a ratio of 1:10. After complete drying, it is necessary to fill the cracks with repair mortar. Apply it to the surface with a spatula. After drying, the surface should be sanded and cleaned.
To work with gaping cracks, it is worthwhile to additionally prepare reinforcement or wire with a diameter of at least 3 mm. The process consists of several stages:
- First, the surface is cleaned, and all the cracks are expanded with a grinder.
- Across the cracks at a distance of 20 cm create strobes with a depth of 2/3 of the thickness of the screed. Their width is 3-4 cm.
- After cleaning the surface from dust, the gates and cracks are treated with a primer.
- At the next stage, the reinforcement is cut and laid in repair seams.
- Then all the strobes are filled with repair mixture to the floor level. Before the solidification of the composition, the surface is leveled using a rail. Before laying the laminate, the surface is ground.
After the repair mixture has completely dried, you can lay the laminate back.
Do you like the article or have something to add? Write in the comments.