Usually, after painting the floor with good paint, it dries in the time indicated on the can. But sometimes it happens that the time allotted for drying has run out, but the paint does not dry well. Moreover, even after a few days, when the paint has dried completely, it continues to stick to the legs. This situation is rather unpleasant and can create a problem.
Such cases, as users write on the forums, are not so rare. This can happen for several reasons:
- The purchased paint turned out to be a low-quality fake or factory defect, and its composition does not match the declared on the package;
- Perhaps the paint was stored or transported in violation of the temperature, for example, in severe frost;
- A paint not suitable for this type of coating was chosen (the wood was painted with metal paint);
- The paint was mixed from two different cans;
- An unsuitable solvent was used to dilute the paint;
- The room has high humidity, or the base at the time of painting was not dry enough;
- Water could get into the can of paint;
- The paint was applied too thin;
- The work room was cold;
- Oil-based paint does not dry well unless an oxidative chemical reaction occurs.
There are many reasons for the strange behavior of the paint, but you can correct the situation by adding a drier to the oil paint. This is a special catalyst that accelerates chemical reactions. True, you need to add it to the jar before painting, but it will not work on the floor.
How to fix a sticky floor
When applying, it should be remembered that the paint dries faster on warm floors, and on cold it will quickly thicken and because of this dry for a long time. It is better to warm up a cold room before painting.
Also, it is impossible to immediately make too thick a layer of paint in the hope of completing the work in one pass. The layer applied by roller or brush should be thin. And if necessary, you can apply the second layer only after drying the first.
To speed up the drying process of already painted floors, it will be useful to organize a good air circulation. You can open all the windows and doors and arrange a draft.
If at this time the street is damp and humid, it is necessary, on the contrary, to warm the room: dry the air and lower the humidity so that the reaction of evaporation of the solvent from the paint goes faster. You can use a heater or heat gun, or you can use a building hair dryer. However, you must do this carefully. In order not to spoil the surface, do not bring the devices close to the floor. From extreme heat, the paint may swell and crack, which will be more difficult to fix.