Today, plastic windows have replaced wooden windows from the market, but if during the repair a question arises of replacement or repair, then it is worth considering. Even if a wooden window looks dilapidated, it is possible to restore it and in the future they may be suitable for long-term operation. This is due to the fact that wooden windows were produced in the USSR, when high demands were placed on quality. Of course, sometimes you need to make a lot of efforts for restoration, but in the end it is worth it.
When does it make sense to repair and restore?
In order to assess the appropriateness of the restoration of the window, it is worth considering primarily the material of manufacture. For example, if we are talking about larch or pine, then the duration of operation is from 25 to 35 years, with regard to more durable species, namely beech or dumas, then the term of operation can reach 50 years.
It does not make sense to perform restoration in the following cases:
- When the window frame in the openings is completely loosened.
- The wood has already dried up.
- The structure looks loose, and with a slight load dents appear.
- Dark spots began to appear under the paint, this suggests that rot or trash appears.
- Strong deformation of the frame.
How to repair window construction
The algorithm of actions is as follows:
- Removing paint, work is performed both chemically and thermally. The second option involves the use of an industrial hair dryer with a set temperature of 200 to 250 degrees. It is advisable to use the chemical method if the old paint has only a couple of layers. In construction stores, there is a special reagent that must be applied to the surface and left for a while.
- Putty and primer. Before these procedures, it is worth visually inspecting the window and using a marker to indicate cracks and chips. Using sandpaper is important to eliminate all roughness. Irregularities are treated with oil or latex putty.
- Geometry straightening. If the window does not open well, street noise is audible or a draft is heard, this indicates that the design of the window structure is broken. In this case, you need to adjust. Additionally, you need to mount the corners at the joints of the frame.
- Warming. Most often they use heat-saving film or gaskets in the wings.
- Finish. Before the final painting, the window must be treated with an antiseptic. After drying, the surface is primed, and for painting it is better to use alkyd paint.