Any car owner will agree that leaving your vehicle on the street is dangerous. The alarm will not protect against theft, and the direct impact of rainfall is at least harmful to the body. As a result, sooner or later, car owners are seriously thinking about building a garage, but it's not so simple: the cost of building a brick or block option is very high. The problem can be solved by building a garage from a metal profile. The material is so convenient and light that it will not be difficult to do it without assistance, with your own hands. You only need the skills to use a grinder and a welding machine.
Positive and negative properties of the metal profile as a finishing material for the garage
The metal profile as a facing and frame material has advantages and disadvantages. The positive aspects of using a metal profile include:
- The material is universal, as it is often used in the construction of roofs, ceilings, fences, as a facing material for walls. Metal sheets allow you to make a roof and walls of any shape.
- Profile pipes are strong, easy and easy to install material. The total weight of the garage structure will exert a slight pressure on the base, so a shallow foundation is enough for buildings of this type.
- To give any shape to the metal profile sheet, only metal shears are needed.
- Material well hides roughnesses of the closed surface.
- When erecting a roof, there is no need to install large beams and a massive crate.
- Thanks to the polymer coating, the metal profile is highly resistant to critical temperatures and adverse weather conditions. This feature positively affects the durability of the metal profile. The terms of its operation reach 50 years.
- The material is environmentally friendly, since no harmful substances are used in its manufacture.
- When heated, the polymer coating does not change the structure, retaining its characteristics.
- The material is fireproof.
The list of positive properties of the metal profile is large, but there are also disadvantages of this material:
- When raindrops, hail, and other solid substances and objects fall onto the surface of the metal profile, an amplified loud sound is produced, reminiscent of a drum roll. This can cause discomfort and irritation to the hearing. In this regard, it is necessary to use soundproofing materials, for example, mineral wool or polystyrene.
- If the protective polymer layers are damaged, the metal profile remains unprotected from corrosion.
- It has a high level of thermal conductivity, therefore, with a temperature difference, condensation occurs on the inner and outer sides of the material.
Preparatory stage: we draw drawings
The construction of any building should be preceded by planning, a schematic representation and a drawing of the future structure. Even such a simple structure as a metal garage should not be an exception to this rule. The diagram and drawing show the optimal dimensions of the garage from a metal profile for comfortable placement of a medium-sized car in it.
Option is for one car.
Given these criteria, the parameters of a garage with a pitched roof will have the following values:
- The height of the garage from the floor to the visor above the gate will be 2140 mm.
- The height of the back of the building is 1900 mm.
- Gate width - 3000 mm.
- The width of the roof is 3240 mm. On each side, the roof will protrude 120 mm.
- Garage length - 5000 mm; taking into account the roof - 5300. On the front and back sides of the structure, the roof protrudes 150 mm (on each side), forming a visor.
- The height of the double-leaf gate will be 2120 mm.
The garage has a gable roof
Choosing quality material
A large assortment of a metal profile goes on sale, which has a number of differences in bending dimensions, thickness, purpose, dimensions, color scheme and protective coating. In order not to make a mistake in choosing the right metal profile parameter, it is necessary to consider each of them in more detail.
The metal profile sheet for wall and roof decoration must be strong enough to withstand the load of a thick layer of snow or strong wind. Therefore, the metal profile differs in purpose. For convenience, the material is marked in capital letters: "N" - bearing; "NS" - universal and "C" - wall.
The metal profile is marked not only with letters, but also with numbers. For example, on a profiled sheet it is indicated: H 18–0.80–750–10000. The meaning of these symbols carries the following information:
- "N" - bearing metal profile sheet for roofing;
- "18" is the wave height of the core material;
- "0.80" is the thickness of the metal;
- "750" - width for installation indicated in millimeters;
- "10000" is the maximum length of the material in mm.
It follows that it is intended for roofing finishing. Its height is 18 mm. It is made of metal 0.80 mm thick. It goes on sale in the form of sheets measuring 0.75 x 10 m. These symbols provide comprehensive information for the builder.
Marking on the material will help you choose the best option for each specific case.
Protective Coating Parameters
You need to know that the metal profile may differ in the options for protective coatings. For convenience, the differences are marked as follows:
- "RE" - means that the coating is made of standardized polyester;
- “REMA” - a sheet coated with polyester has a matte surface;
- "PVC" - used plastisol;
- “PU” - polyurethane is included in the coating;
Very popular brands: "RE" with a glossy surface and "REMA" - with a matte.
The combination of coatings makes the material reliable to use.
When buying a metal profile, you need to check the integrity of the coating: are there any scratches, dents, chips. If the material is lined with the indicated defects, then after a certain period of time it may rust.
Dark spots will appear at the site of corrosion. This is immediately noticeable, because of which the coating loses its original beautiful appearance.
Metal Profile Thickness
The next thing you need to pay attention to is the thickness of the acquired metal profile . The main criterion for choosing profiled material for many buyers is expressed in color, shape and size of the relief. Without realizing their mistake, buyers try to save on the thickness of the profile. However, this is fraught with unpleasant consequences.
First of all, it is necessary to determine for which surface the material will be applied. If you cover the roof with a thin wall metal profile, then after a few months it will deform under the pressure of snow or hail. As a result, there will be a need for its replacement, and this is an additional cost.
In order to avoid mistakes, it should be remembered that the thickness of the metal profile for the roof can not be less than 0.5 mm. If it is used as a fence, then the thickness should be from 0.4 mm. Material with a smaller thickness must be used for temporary finishing.
To obtain accurate information about the thickness of the profile, you must use a micrometer or vernier caliper . Almost everyone knows how to use these tools correctly, so it will not be difficult for you to determine the correct values using them.
To obtain accurate information about the thickness of the profile, you must use a micrometer or vernier caliper
Amount of zinc
The next important criterion when choosing a metal profile is the amount of zinc contained in it. Galvanization of metal has significantly increased the life of products. Therefore, when buying a profiled sheet, it is important to know how much this substance is in a square meter. In accordance with this criterion, the metal profile will be better as much as the higher the parameters indicating the zinc content in the material.
In a store or warehouse, it is almost impossible to check the amount of zinc. However, depending on the thickness and marking of the metal profile, you can roughly determine the zinc content.
If the material thickness is about 0.5 mm, then, as a rule, the amount of zinc in it is the largest, in the range 220–270 g / m 2 .
If it is a standard medium-sized material, the thickness of which is about 0.45 mm, then it contains zinc 135–175 g / m 2 .
In the material with a smaller sheet thickness, from 0.3 to 0.4 mm, the index of zinc content in the range from 75 to 100 g / m 2 .
The thicker the galvanized material, the correspondingly, the more expensive it costs. Taking this criterion into account, you can rely on it as an indicator of quality. In this regard, one should not give preference to cheap material.
Place and method of acquiring material
Another important criterion when choosing a metal profile is the place and method of acquisition. Now shopping through online stores has become popular. This is convenient because you do not need to go somewhere, negotiate with someone, control the delivery process. For you, almost everything will be done by the employees of the provided service. When shopping in this way, you are not immune from fakes or poor quality products.
Being directly at the warehouse and choosing profiled material, you personally verify the quality of the goods, you can require the appropriate certificates and guarantees. In addition, there is the opportunity to personally talk with the manager or seller in order to determine for themselves the degree of professionalism of the company or organization.
Therefore, simply by ordering material through the Internet, you can get unpredictable results.
Finishing low-quality material will quickly lose its original appearance
Calculation of corrugated board and other materials for the construction of a garage
To eliminate the lack of materials or unforeseen expenses, when constructing a garage from a metal profile, it is necessary to carry out a calculation.
First of all, calculations are carried out to determine the total volume of concrete for the foundation. For the garage from corrugated board, a column-tape base will be laid. From its name it is easy to guess that there will be concrete poles (piles) and a tape at the base, so the calculation will be done separately.
Piles for the foundation will have a cylindrical shape 40 cm long, 30 cm in diameter. 10 piles are provided for the base of this type of garage.
To calculate the volume of one cylinder (column), you need to use the formula: V = π · r 2 · h, where V is the volume of the cylinder; π is a constant mathematical value (3.14); r is the radius of the circle (the base of the figure); h is the height of the pile. Now it is necessary to substitute the values, the calculation result of which will show the volume of concrete in cubic meters for one pile: 3.14 · 0.15 2 · 0.4 = 3.14 · 0.0225 · 0.4 = 0.02826 m 3 . Accordingly, for ten piles: 0.0282610 = 0.2826 m 3 .
Next, you need to calculate the volume of concrete for the foundation tape. To achieve this, you need to multiply the indicators of the length, height and width of the future foundation. For the convenience of calculations, calculations of the volume of the strip foundation will be carried out first along its length of two sides, and then across the width of two sides.
For this you need: 0.4 · 0.3 · 5 = 0.6 m 3 . Accordingly, for two sides, this figure is doubled: 0.6 · 2 = 1.2 m 3 - this is the volume of concrete mix required for the long sides of the foundation. Now we calculate the volume across the width of the base: 0.4 · 0.3 · 3 = 0.36 m 3 , respectively 0.36 · 2 = 0.72 m 3 .
The calculation was made for all parts of the foundation separately, so you need to add them up: 0.2826 + 1.2 + 0.72 = 2.202 m 3 - this is the total value of the volume of concrete needed for the entire foundation of the garage.
To calculate the total amount of profiled material for the garage, you need to make mathematical calculations on each side of it separately, and add the results.
The design of the garage provides a single-pitched roof, so the side walls will have an irregular shape with a size of 500x190x214 cm.
In order to make it more convenient to calculate the area of the walls, it is necessary to divide them into simple shapes - a rectangle and a right triangle.
Separation into simple shapes makes calculations easier
We calculate the area of a right triangle. To do this, multiply the values of the sides adjacent to the right angle, and divide the resulting figure in half (5 · 0.24): 2 = 0.6 m 2 .
We make calculations according to the second figure. In this case, the area is determined by multiplying the length by the width of the figure: 5 · 1.9 = 9.5 m 2 .
Accordingly, for two identical walls, these values need to be multiplied by 2, and then added: 0.6 · 2 + 9.5 · 2 = 19.12 m 2 - this is the total area of the side walls of the garage.
It remains to calculate the rear wall of the building and the roof.
The rear wall of the structure has dimensions of 300x190 cm. We make a calculation: 3 · 1.9 = 5.7 m 2 .
The garage door has dimensions of 300x212 cm, therefore: 3 · 2.12 = 6.36 m 2 .
The roof with such parameters is 530x324 cm. Its area is calculated as follows: 5.3 · 3.24 = 17.17 m2.
Now it is very easy to find the total value of the areas on all sides of the garage . To do this, add up the indicators of the side walls, the back of the building and the roof: 19.12 + 5.7 + 6.36 + 17.17 = 48.35 m 2 .
To assemble the frame, it is necessary to use a metal profile with a square or rectangular section of 40 by 40 mm or 40 by 25 mm. As a connecting element, special fasteners for profiled pipes are needed.
For the construction of a garage measuring 5000x3000 mm, 130 m of profiled pipes will be needed.
When erecting the frame structure of the garage, you will need tools:
- Electric drill or helical shovel.
- Bayonet and shovel.
- Buckets and other containers for water and cement.
- A hammer.
- Concrete mixing machine.
- Concrete hose.
- Pliers and nippers.
- Big square.
- Building level.
- Plumb line.
- Welding machine.
- Nails, screws, screws, washers and nuts.
- Lead pencil.
- Cord and stakes for marking.
Photo Gallery: Essential Tools for Working
- Welding machine
- Building level
- Concrete mixing machine
- Bayonet shovel
- Electric drill
Step-by-step instructions for the construction of a garage from a metal profile from the foundation to the roof (with photo)
Construction activities for the construction of a garage from a metal profile are in the following stages:
- Before proceeding with the construction of the frame structure of the garage, you need to take care of arranging its base. To do this, using a cord and pegs, it is necessary to make markings for excavating a trench 30 cm wide.
Land marking is an important stage
- Then, without protruding beyond the stretched cord, you need to dig a trench 40 cm deep. Try to make the walls of the ditch even, strictly perpendicular to the floor. It is better to collect the dug up earth in the middle of a marking. In this case, it will not bother you, and when the concrete base hardens, the earth will be needed to level the floor.
- When the trench is ready, you need to carefully ram the bottom of the trench. This is conveniently done using a ramming machine. If there is none, then a log with a diameter of 20 to 30 cm, a length of about 120 cm is used for this. A bar is attached to one of its end sides, which will serve as handles. Raising a log for them, they are hit on the ground, thereby tampering its surface.
- Now you need to dig holes for pouring concrete piles. To do this, inside the trench with a hand drill or a helical shovel, you need to dig 10 holes with a diameter of 300 mm, a depth of 400 mm. Tamp the bottom of the pits in the same way. As shown in the image, the distance between the holes along the width of the foundation is 1050 mm, and its length is 1266 mm. First, dig holes in the corners of the base, and then in between.
The installation procedure for piles must be observed
- Lay a sand cushion at the bottom of each hole and trench. To do this, it is necessary to fill the sand and ram it until a uniform layer 10 cm thick is obtained. In order to better compress the sand, it must be made wet. Under the influence of water, it will be better to keep in shape.
- In prepared wells, lower asbestos-cement pipes, which will play the role of formwork. Their length should be slightly greater than the depth of the prepared pits, so material from 43 to 45 cm in size was used.
- From reinforcing rods with a diameter of 12 mm, make the frame necessary to strengthen the concrete pile. For one pile (pillar) you need 4 metal rods 50 cm long. These rods must be connected to each other using a wire. The result should be a three-dimensional cubic structure with a distance between each rod of 15 cm. Using the same principle, make the remaining nine frames. Place one metal structure in each well.
The metal structure inside the pipe will strengthen the future pile
- Now you can pour concrete to make piles. In this case, it is necessary to use a concrete mix of the M200 brand. To make the foundation stronger, you should first pour concrete at half the height of the asbestos-cement pipe. Then pull it out a little and push it back. At the time of raising the pipe, part of the mixture will pour out to the bottom of the hole, having completely filled it. When the pipe is placed back, the poured concrete will fill the lower space between the asbestos-cement material and the ground. Pour the concrete mixture to the top of the pipe. As a result, the main part of the reinforcing cage will be inside the pile, and its outer ends will fix the posts to the strip foundation.
- The concrete mixture must be disposed of from air bubbles and interlayers formed at the time of pouring. To do this, it is convenient to use a piece of reinforcement or a stick, lowering and lifting it into liquid concrete, in the formwork. Having done these simple steps, you need to let the concrete harden. This requires two to three weeks. It should be noted that it is impossible to leave the poured concrete in the open state. Under direct sunlight, the mixture will dry out and will solidify unevenly, which may cause it to crack. To avoid this, you need to cover future piles with roofing material or thick polyethylene. In the first two days, with a frequency of 10-12 hours, it is necessary to water the concrete with a small amount of water. This will prevent the foundation from drying out.
- After the specified time, you can continue the construction work on laying the foundation tape. To do this, it is necessary to make a wooden formwork from boards or sheets of thick plywood. Its height should be 5-10 cm higher than the expected concrete level. Fasten the boards or plywood between each other with nails or self-tapping screws. So that the formwork does not deform under the pressure of the poured mixture, its wooden elements must be strengthened with struts and struts.
- The remaining gaps between the asbestos-cement pipe and the walls of the holes must be filled with earth and rammed.
- After that, it is necessary to lay a waterproofing layer on the compacted sand. As it is used roofing material or a thick plastic film. Waterproofing should cover the bottom of the trench, its walls and reach the upper edge of the formwork. Roofing material is conveniently fixed to a wooden formwork using a stapler.
- To strengthen the strip foundation, it is necessary to make a metal frame from metal rods with a diameter of 12 mm. This design is similar to that installed in asbestos-cement pipes, but it has other sizes. The width of the frame should be 25 cm, the height should be 35 cm, and the length should correspond to the perimeter of the entire base for the future garage. It should be noted that the metal frame should not touch the waterproofing surface at the bottom of the trench and walls. To properly place the structure, it is necessary to put wooden blocks 50x50x300 mm in size at the bottom of the trench, perpendicular to its length and at a distance of 1.5 m from each other. The intersections of the rods with the metal frame of the piles must be fixed with wire.
Reinforcement cage should be below the upper level of concrete
- Prepare a concrete mix of the M 200 brand. All actions to fill the foundation and protect the base from weather conditions are similar to those indicated previously. Concrete hardening terms from 3 to 6 weeks. After the concrete has hardened, it is necessary to remove the wooden formwork, clean the upper surface of the foundation from debris and proceed with the manufacture of the garage frame for the profile pipes.
Nailed bars hold wooden structure
- The metal structure from metal-profile pipes can be assembled separately by fragments or on the foundation starting from the bottom strapping. Assembly methods are simple, as they involve joining with bolts, nuts, and electric welding. As the connecting elements of the frame, it is convenient to use fasteners for profile pipes. In these parts, angular, butt and cross-shaped grooves are provided for them.
- The number of pipes for the uprights of the structure is set based on the size of the profile sheets and the length of the garage. Typically, the width of one sheet should be 2-3 racks, the maximum distance between which is from 60 to 80 cm.
- To strengthen the struts between them, it is necessary to install transverse struts from metal pipes. It is convenient to cut pipes with a file and scissors for metal.
Rivets - one way to connect
- When the side, back and front walls are assembled and fixed, go to the manufacture and installation of roof elements. This design is a metal frame from a metal profile, connected by similar parts located at a distance of 60 to 80 cm from each other. It is more convenient to assemble the roof on the floor, and then attach the whole structure to the frame.
- When the frame is completely ready, all the parts are securely attached, you can start decorating the walls and roof. First of all, it is necessary to check the horizontal structure, to make sure that there are no distortions and irregularities. For walls, it is necessary to select metal sheets marked "NS".
- The first sheet must be mounted from the edge of the building using self-tapping screws with a rubber washer or rivets. First, screw the top of the sheet, and then the rest. The distance between the screws should be about 30 cm.
- The second profile sheet is installed with an overlap on the first. Methods of joining sheets differ depending on the topography of the sheet waves. In the joints of the profile material, it is necessary to use sealants for waterproofing. Thus, all the exterior surfaces of the garage are finished.
Due to the size of the sheets, installation is quick
- To cover the roof, use profile sheets marked "H". Mount this material on the roof with a protrusion beyond its edge for at least 5 cm. In accordance with the drawing, this peak will have a length of 15 cm from the back and front of the garage.
- To make and install double-leaf gates in the front wall. Each door will have a separate frame. Usually it is a square or rectangular frame made of metal pipes, reinforced with transverse, perpendicular or oblique metal elements. Fasten metal door hinges to one of the selected sides of each frame. Install profile sheets on top.
If necessary, the structure is easy to disassemble and move to another place
How to make a platform for a garage from corrugated board?
A reliable floor in the garage is important, as the load on it will be large. The average car weighs about a ton, so a capital base is needed for this site. To create it, you need to make a concrete floor:
- Initially, it is necessary to level the surface of the plot and compact it.
- Pour moist sand on top, which also compact until a layer is 20 cm thick.
- It is necessary to make a reinforcing mesh for the entire floor surface from reinforcement with a diameter of 8 mm. This grid will strengthen the future foundation. It should not touch the floor, therefore, under it at a distance of 100 cm from each other, place half the bricks.
- To obtain a flat surface, it is necessary to make beacons from long reinforcing rods. These rods must be securely fastened on both long sides of the garage. Two more lighthouses need to be installed in the middle of the future slab. The level of the beacons can be checked using a long, level board. The lighthouse supports should not touch the grate. This will allow you to move along it during alignment.
- After this, pour concrete. You need to start from the far wall, gradually moving back. Shovels to distribute the mixture.
- Align the concrete on the lighthouses. Movements should be frequent, "left-right." In places where pits form, it is necessary to add concrete.
- There is a more convenient way to align. To do this, use a long rule or a flat board, the length of which is slightly less than the width of the garage. Leveling is performed in a similar way, only in this case the entire floor surface becomes smooth. For this method, only three beacons are enough.
- After the mixture is leveled, it takes time to solidify it. This will take about seven days.
Video: build a garage from a do-it-yourself decking
A metal profile garage is not only easy to build on your own, it will take much less time than the construction of a capital building. It takes a long time to wait for the concrete to harden, and you will complete the direct construction in a few days. Now your car will be reliably protected from adverse weather conditions.