Optimum humidity indicators in the room - 40-60%. If the value increases, then in the apartment or in the house favorable conditions are created for the propagation of mold and pathogens. Often housing becomes damp after repairs.
Why does this phenomenon occur and how to deal with it?
Reasons for increased humidity after repair
Too high hygrometer readings (from 70%) are not considered normal. The appearance of dampness in the room indicates that the finishing technologies were violated. Humidity may be increased during repairs. But after its completion, the indicators return to normal. Why humidity remains high:
- Finishing materials have not dried out. Each coat of plaster, putty, or screed should dry well before coating. If this does not happen, the solutions will release moisture after repair, increasing the hygrometer.
- Internal warming was carried out. If, together with this stage of work, ventilation is not modernized, a greenhouse effect will be created. Heat simply has nowhere to go.
- Mineral wool was used as insulation. It absorbs moisture very strongly.
- During the repair, wide window sills were installed that completely overlap the heating pipes.
- Interior doors are too tight on the floor, not allowing air to circulate.
- Metal-plastic windows are installed. They are airtight and do not allow air from the street. The windows fog up, and the slopes and walls beneath them become wet.
The combination of these factors leads to an increase in humidity in the apartment. How to get rid of damp when the repair is already done?
Ways to reduce humidity
If the problem is temporary, caused by insufficient drying of the finishing materials, frequent ventilation will help. In winter, the air parameters are normalized by the heating system or electric heater, in the summer - by air conditioning. With constantly high humidity, a desiccant should be used - it absorbs excess moisture. However, these tips will only eliminate the consequences of repair errors. To eradicate the problem, it is worthwhile to deal with the causes of high humidity. Options for your actions:
- In case of improper internal insulation, make external thermal insulation. It is very important to observe the laying technology and not to replace some materials with others. The vapor permeability of the layers increases from the inside out.
- Installation of supply and exhaust ventilation. It is especially important to equip it if the room has been insulated and metal-plastic windows are installed.
- Installation of double-glazed windows with ventilation valves. They can also be installed at the top of the profile of old windows. If the sealant is poor, replace it with a new one.
- In a window sill that is too wide, under which there is a heating battery, install a ventilation grill.
Eradicating the constant cause of dampness is quite difficult, because you will have to take steps to eliminate the problem step by step until you achieve the result. But the efforts are worth it, because then you do not have to constantly struggle with mold and bad smell.