Cork flooring is becoming a popular finishing material. It is an environmentally friendly product, it gives excellent sound and thermal insulation.
In addition, the coating is always warm to the touch, which eliminates the need for carpets, and is also soft and springy.
The cork is durable and does not rot. It does not give static electricity, which means it does not attract dust.
When performing cork coating, a warm floor system is not needed. In addition, such a coating is well repaired.
Cons of the floor
The cork does not burn, it does not absorb extraneous odors, resistant to dirt and mechanical damage.
However, heavy furniture may have dents. You can’t wear hairpins on the floor, rubber shoes will also leave ugly marks.
Sharp objects are also contraindicated. The varnish layer is recommended to be renewed every 3 years, and the coating itself lasts about 20 years. Compared to laminate and parquet, the cost of cork is high.
There are minor difficulties when laying the coating, so if there is no work experience, then it is better to entrust this stage to professionals.
Causes of uneven floors during installation:
- poorly executed screed. No screed at all. On the concrete floor, the screed is cleaned, dirt and various elements are removed. Fiberboard or plywood are first laid on a wooden board. If necessary, plywood can also be sanded if there are joints. It is also important that the seams of plywood and cork do not match;
- the cork was laid on an unfinished floor, after which it can not only become distorted, but also become unusable;
- the cement screed was not covered with a film, after which it scratches the floor and can damage it;
- the tiles are not shifted during laying, which does not allow the material to expand, and it begins to swell;
- when laying on glue, the wrong water-based product was chosen, the work was carried out without maintaining the level and not in a spiral, as expected with this method. When spreading glue on a tile, you need to level it on the surface. Do not forget to leave gaps under the skirting boards as well.
In addition, the evenness of the floor can be violated by temperature influences, so in the kitchen or balcony you need to use a cork laminate with a protective coating.
In the bathroom and in the toilet, such a coating does not fit, but for the nursery or bedroom, living room, this is an indispensable product.
With normal laying on glue, you can’t walk on the cork right away, put the furniture the next day. With a castle connection of tiles, furniture is brought in only after a week.
In areas of high traffic, the floor should be laid only by glue. Glueing the floor is the most difficult.
If the tile lay unevenly, it is almost impossible to straighten it. Therefore, professionals first try on tiles without glue, lay them on the floor and look from the side.
Gluing starts from the center, drawing two mutually perpendicular lines. After gluing, the room is ventilated for a day.
To lay the castle floor, it is necessary to close the screed with polyethylene. This will allow a little waterproofing to protect the coating.
If you follow all the rules of installation, then problems with uneven floors will not arise, and cork will serve for many years.
Do you know the reasons why the cork floor went uneven? Share your experience in the comments.