Sometimes, in order to save money and time, people decide to update the decorative decoration of the walls without appropriate preparation. In such situations, the question often arises whether it is possible to apply a primer on old wallpaper.
Need to remove old wallpapers
Primer is a prerequisite for proper preparation of the surface for the subsequent stage of finishing. Including this procedure is performed after puttying the walls before applying the finish layer.
The primer helps to create the most even surface, making wallpaper wallpaper look especially beautiful. Putty is also strengthened, dust is removed, and adhesion (adhesion) between materials is increased.
But often, in order to save money, people prefer not to deal with the removal of the old coating and the corresponding preparation of the walls. They simply pass with a primer along the previous finishing layer and paste new wallpapers on top. This should not be done for several reasons:
- Old cloths under the influence of a wet composition simply soak and move away from the wall.
- The adhesion will not increase, since the primer will be applied to an unsuitable surface for such processing.
- There is no need to remove dust from the walls.
It is important to consider the following nuances:
- Only paper webs without a textured pattern are suitable as the basis. Vinyl and non-woven products cannot be coated on top with a new layer.
- If the wallpaper in some places is already moving away from the surface, then the repair will probably be short-lived.
- Even in a situation where the old coating looks reliable, it is necessary to conduct a preliminary check - slightly wet the wall section. If, with a slight exposure to moisture, the webs begin to recede, then after applying the glue they will definitely soften.
The quality of repairs will be quite low if performed in violation of standard technologies. If you still have a desire to prime the wallpaper, then apply the solution should be a minimal layer.