Translated from English, siding literally means wall cladding. Initially, siding was a way of finishing the facade, in which horizontal boards were lapped to a vertical surface under a certain inclination. This method of cladding the exterior walls allowed rainwater to flow unhindered along the wood paneling.
More than a hundred years have passed since the invention of such building technology, and modern production offers many siding options both for the facades of buildings and structures, as well as for indoor walls.
The methods of exterior decoration with vinyl, steel, wood or cement elements have a large list of advantages:
- Resistance to aggressive environmental influences.
- Long service life.
- Preservation of the original appearance for many years.
- Ease of installation and optimal cost.
When using siding for interior decoration, you should carefully consider the behavior of building materials in the functioning of a residential or public space.
PVC and MDF panels, block house and wooden paneling are the main materials for cladding walls and ceilings with a pre-installed crate.
Despite the ease of installation, low price and other advantages of the above finishing methods, there are a number of disadvantages and limitations.
Below are the main reasons why you should think about whether to use siding as an interior finish.
- Plastic and MDF panels have low strength, and any mechanical damage will spoil the appearance of the surface.
- The flexibility of PVC and MDF elements do not allow a strong structure.
- Melting plastic at high temperatures and the release of toxic substances is an undesirable effect in the rooms in which people are located.
- Reduced fire safety of wooden elements require the use of special impregnations that reduce the flammability of wood.
- The increased moisture permeability of the block house and lining indicates that, without proper care, their surfaces can rot, mold can appear.
- Reducing the usable area and height of the room due to the relatively large thickness of the timber for the installation of the crate for any type of siding. This is especially important when facing walls and ceilings of small rooms.
- Difficulties with electrical work and the withdrawal of boxes in a fragile plastic coating.
- Any internal siding has joints and with this method of finishing it is not possible to get an absolutely smooth surface.
- The artificial appearance of coatings made of PVC and MDF panels cannot create a cozy and comfortable atmosphere in the living space.
Paneling of surfaces is more reasonable in technical areas, and it is also possible to use any kind of siding to surface the surfaces of loggias and balconies.
And what experience does the reader have in using siding for interior decoration?