Swings for suburban areas are structurally of various types: frame, portable, stationary, suspended. Also, there are enough options for their manufacture, for example: a swing-pendulum, a bench-swing, a swing with a canopy, single or for 2-4 persons, etc.
You can make your own swing literally in 1 day, without putting a lot of effort. The main thing is to pre-determine the design and prepare the appropriate consumables.
Types of swings
The main types of structures can be divided into 4 types.
- U-shaped - the most economical option, because requires the least material costs. The design resembles a regular horizontal bar, i.e. 2 racks are concreted into the ground. And on top of the crossbar, to which the swing seat is actually attached to the chain.
- L-shaped. More robust design. It consists of side supports of 2 racks at a slope connected by an upper jumper.
- X-shaped. The design is similar to the previous version. Only here, the side supports are installed so that a crosshair is formed on top of 20–25 cm from the edge, on which a transverse beam is mounted. A cross member is also attached below the edge of the uprights for better screed.
- A-shaped. The most reliable swing design. A subspecies of the L-shaped version, only here in the middle is an additional jumper between the racks.
After you have decided on the design and the material of manufacture (metal or wood), you need to draw a sketch of the structure. The basic drawing includes the following data:
- type of frame;
- swing size;
- place of fastening of reinforcing elements;
- type and number of seats;
- length and type of suspension.
Consider the following points:
- ideal seat width 50-60 cm;
- from the ground, the seating distance is at least 50-55 cm;
- the distance from the crossbar to the seat must be a minimum of 1.5 (6) m.
X-shaped swing example
It is important not to rush and do everything in stages. The swing assembly sequence is as follows ::
- Step away from the edge of the posts 20-25 cm and drill a bolt hole in each. Put 2 racks on a flat surface so that a crosshair forms at the top and connect with a bolt, but do not tighten the nut yet.
- Spread the lower part to the sides, and connect the jumpers with the bolts, stepping back from the edge of 60-70 cm. For greater stability, the jumper can also be added in the middle.
- Now carefully tighten all the bolts so that the racks are monolithic.
- Next, make a marking where the structure will be installed, and dig 4 pits for racks 50 cm deep. Important: treat the part of the supports that will be in the ground with bitumen or mining - this will not allow them to rot. Lock the supports and concreted.
- Now mount the upper crossbar. Put the bar in the crosshair and, having drilled through holes in the places of pressure, fix with bolts. From the bottom, connect the jumper to the posts with steel corners and long screws.
- Mounting the suspension. Measure the distance (seat size) and drill through holes for eyebolts in the crossbar.
- On the edges of the seat (back / bench), make holes on the sides and screw in bolts or powerful hooks into them.
- Put carabiners on eyebolts and insert chain links into them. Then attach the seat and the swing is basically ready.
Treat all wooden structural elements with stain, varnish or paint.