Mostly rooms with high humidity include bathrooms, kitchens, stairwells. Mold often appears on their walls, which is extremely harmful to human health.
Therefore, the paint used in them must be waterproof, have an antifungal effect, and easily tolerate mechanical stress.
Choose the right paint
Many masters use facade paints when painting the bathroom and kitchen. It is a water resistant material that can withstand harsh conditions.
Steam is not terrible for them; they protect well from mold and fungi. But it is worth abandoning water facade paints, since they can not be washed. Under the influence of water, they lose their appearance.
Do not use paint materials in these rooms. They will not give an even smooth surface as a result. Also, experts recommend abandoning water-based paint. In the bathroom, it will leak from moisture.
The most suitable paint would be:
- Water resistant. It can be washed and is easy to apply. But there is a small minus - at low temperatures it is covered with small cracks. Therefore, it is not suitable for stairwells if the staircase is not heated.
- Acrylic Prevents the formation of fungi and mold. It does not hide defects on the walls well, so they must be carefully aligned beforehand.
- Latex. Pretty waterproof, durable. Well emphasizes the surface structure. A minus is the need for additional processing with special preparations for mold and mildew. It is allowed to wipe it only with wet sponges. Excessive use of water can damage it. Most often, latex coating can be found in schools, kindergartens and medical facilities. It does not have good vapor permeability, therefore, does not give a breathable effect. Such paints should not be used for living rooms.
- Silicone It can block small cracks on the wall. But it is subject to mechanical damage.
- Alkyd enamels. After drying, forms a bright glossy coating. If the surface is heated, an unpleasant odor may appear.
You can also paint with oil options, but they dry for a long time.
Properties suitable for damp paint
Acrylic and latex paints have several advantages, and are perfect for kitchens and bathrooms. Their advantages include:
- absolute harmlessness;
- ease in work;
- easy care;
- high antibacterial properties.
In the absence of the above qualities, paint should be discarded.
Features of painting rooms with high humidity
Only perfectly even walls are suitable for painting. Any cracks and chips will be clearly visible.
Therefore, before painting, the old coating is removed, the walls are plastered and coated with a primer. The latter should have antibacterial properties.
So that the paint does not crack over time, it should be applied on a dry surface.
Have you ever painted wet rooms? What was the result? Your opinion is extremely important to us.