As you know, an important element of any building is the roof. In many ways, the living conditions in a particular house depend on the quality of this detail. After all, if the roof turned out to be of poor quality, this often leads to serious consequences for the entire structure.
At the same time, any construction specialist knows that the reliability of the roof largely depends on the condition of the rafters. The fact is that this is the main part of the frame of the upper part of the house, on which actually depends how long the roof will last.
Now, however, and in ancient times, rafters are mainly made of wood. This is a versatile material that allows builders to create lightweight and durable structures.
On the other hand, the tree has its drawbacks, as it can be exposed to a fungus, which if not taken can lead to weakening of the rafters and a violation of their structure. At the same time, when the rafters are covered with a fungus, they darken and thus lose their original appearance.
In this article we will talk about what to do to the owner of the house if he noticed that the rafters were darkened.
Causes of fungus on the rafters
So, according to experts, for the occurrence of mold the following conditions are needed:
- suitable temperature for the development of spores;
- the presence of moisture;
- food for the fungus;
- a certain amount of oxygen.
However, if at least one of the above items is not observed, the owners of the house have the opportunity to quickly eliminate the cause of the development of mold.
So, the most important factor in the appearance and development of the fungus is increased humidity. The occurrence of such a problem can usually be caused by such reasons as:
- for the construction of rafters, builders picked up not completely dry wood;
- the wooden frame of the roof is wet during construction;
- there is no good ventilation in the attic of the house;
- poor ventilation inside the roof (leads to wetting of insulating materials);
- when installing the roof, the builders forgot to lay waterproofing, because of which moisture gets on the rafters.
What can be done if the fungus still arises
If the rafters of the house have already been exposed to the fungus and have darkened, you need to carry out the following procedures:
- First of all, the owner will have to completely remove the affected layer of wood from the rafters. They usually do this kind of work with metal brushes, grinding discs and machines. It is important that the cleaned surface is 20-30 cm higher than the affected.
- After the fungus is removed, the rafters must be treated with a soap solution with a mandatory chlorine content. When this is done it is necessary to give the tree a good dry.
- Next, on the treated area you need to apply several layers of a special composition, which has antiseptic properties.
- Also, so that the problem does not recur, you need to carefully understand what the cause of the problem is and eliminate it. Only this will guarantee that the situation with damage to the rafters does not happen again.
In addition, many experts advise periodically cleaning the rafters and treating them with special antifungal compounds.
And how do you deal with the signs of blackening of rafters? Share your experience in the comments.