The foundation is not only a reliable foundation of the building, but also a good opportunity for a beautiful finish. Facing the basement allows you to make the house beautiful, but for this you need to choose the right materials and technology.
Finishing the foundation: purpose, features and benefits
The exterior finish of the building foundation is the design of the lower part of the walls or basement using various materials and methods. It performs a decorative and protective function. The use of structural materials gives this part of the building a beautiful appearance, in addition, they protect the construction of the base of the house from destruction under the influence of climatic conditions.
The decoration is very aesthetic
The basement is necessary for both wooden and brick buildings with concrete foundations. The arrangement of the lower part of the walls is carried out using different materials. But their quality is important. It is the properties of the finishing materials that determine the effectiveness of protecting the foundation from rain, wind, and sun, which lead to the destruction of a concrete or wooden base.
The basement finish is often important for the exterior of the house.
Facing for the foundation is presented in the form of various materials. All of them are highly resistant to moisture and ultraviolet rays, temperature extremes. It is these properties that provide reliable protection of the foundation from the negative effects of the environment.
The advantages of facing the plinth are:
- protecting the foundation from various natural phenomena;
- providing aesthetics of appearance;
- providing the opportunity to change the design of the house;
- the use of environmentally friendly and safe materials;
- additional fire protection.
Foundation finishing materials
High-quality cladding is carried out using various mixtures, slabs, panels or stone. The basic requirements for materials are high quality, dense structure, optimal characteristics and easy installation. And also pay attention to the conformity of their characteristics to the climatic conditions of the region. With sudden changes in temperature or high humidity, the most high-quality and durable materials are needed.
The basement is very diverse
To design the foundation of buildings used:
- clinker tiles;
- decorative plaster;
- fiber cement panels;
- natural or artificial stone;
- porcelain tile;
- basement siding;
- professional sheets.
The materials harmonize well with the wooden or brick walls of the house. This provides reliable protection of the base from mechanical damage, and also under the external finish it is easy to hide the insulation for the foundation.
Photo gallery: stone foundation facing
- Artificial stone is practical and durable
- Facing height can be any
- The stone is mounted on a reinforcing mesh
- Foundation decoration can be combined with the design of the porch
- Artificial or natural stone is reliable
- The stone is easily combined with siding.
- Stone allows you to create a spectacular building design
Facing the foundation: features of finishing materials
For the design and protection of the base they use not only high-quality, but also durable, environmentally friendly materials. In any case, installation involves the preparation of the base, which involves cleaning, leveling the surface. Next, a reinforcing mesh or frame of profile elements is mounted. The first option is necessary for decorative plaster, artificial or natural stone, clinker tiles. The frame allows you to make trim from profiled sheets, panels or siding.
Fiber cement panels
The hot pressing method creates a composite material from a mixture of wood fibers and cement. Elements are covered with a laminated layer, which allows you to simulate the surface of wood, stone or brick. Fiber cement panels are distinguished by a beautiful appearance and a service life of 20-30 years.
Fiber cement panels are diverse and reliable.
Fiber cement decorative panels for the basement of the house allow you to create a design in any style. Elements have a special lock-fastening, which provides reliable fixation. At the same time, the finishing layer is sealed and does not allow moisture and dust to pass through. Therefore, the panels can be mounted on top of the external insulation layer of the foundation.
The installation process itself takes place in several stages:
- Preparatory work. To clear a surface of the base of an old covering. Identify and eliminate all irregularities. Remove window sills, pipes and other similar items.
- Markup. Designate the location of the brackets, while strictly following the step. Vertical it is 60 cm, horizontal - 1 m.
- Installation of the subsystem. For this, both metal profiles and wooden slats can be used, and the choice is completely independent of what material the building itself is built from.
- Installation of insulation. Glass or staple fiber can be laid under fiber cement slabs. You can fix the insulation on the dowels.
- Installation of fiber cement boards. You need to start work from the bottom up. Remember that the amount of purchased material should be 7% more than the calculations made.
Natural stone is a durable and durable material, which is quite expensive. The installation of elements is carried out directly on the wall, so it is optimal for the foundation, insulated from the inside. Fix this facing material with tile glue or cement mortar on a reinforcing mesh.
Natural stone cladding is environmentally friendly and durable
When installing natural stone, it is worth considering that it has a large weight, which is why it significantly loads the supporting structures. Therefore, the foundation must be reliable and massive, which helps prevent its damage as a result of heavy load. For the design of the foundation, gravel, dolomite, granite stones are optimal. The seams formed during the installation of elements must be sealed with a special waterproof grout.
Artificial stone has a lower cost, but the characteristics of the material are at a high level. In its manufacture, water-repellent impregnations, binders are used. The appearance of the stone is diverse, making it easy to create an imitation of natural coating.
Artificial facing stone can have any texture and color
For the installation of artificial stone, a standard method is used, involving the processing of the foundation with a primer. After that, the elements are fixed with a high-quality adhesive composition, which ensures strong adhesion of the stone to the wall surface. This option is well combined with any other facade materials.
Tiles and Porcelain Tiles
The process of finishing the foundation with this material consists of several main stages:
- Before finishing the foundation with clinker, porcelain or tile, the surface should be carefully leveled.
- For fixing the material, glue is used, which is intended only for outdoor use, and can withstand the effects of any natural phenomena. Its thickness should not exceed 1 cm, which will ensure high-quality fixation of parts.
Tiles are mounted neatly and carefully.
Tiles for facing the foundation are presented in a wide variety. Tiled options are distinguished by a wide selection of colors, and porcelain stoneware is very strong and durable. The size of the products is also different, and when designing the foundation, you can easily combine several options.
When installing, it is worth considering that the tile does not hold on the glass-hydroisol, and other tile options require surface treatment of the base with a primer and bitumen mastic.
Video: tiling the base
Plaster for plinth
Drawing decorative plaster on the foundation surface allows you to make cladding for little money. The main disadvantage of this method is that the surface after processing will need additional protection from moisture and natural phenomena. For this, the dried mixture is stained, water-repellent compositions are applied. Acrylate, oil, acrylic or dispersed mixtures that are suitable for outdoor use do an excellent job of this task.
The foundation department of facade plaster looks very concise
The building for year-round use can be insulated, covered with a layer of plaster, and after it has dried, apply a decorative analog. It can have any color. As a heater, you can use foam or basalt cotton wool. This procedure allows to ensure complete thermal insulation of a residential building and create a beautiful design from the outside.
The foundation of the building can be protected with bricks, using a ceramic, slotted or hollow type of material. Hyperpressed analogues are also optimal. It is important to consider the following installation features:
- it is mandatory to use a waterproofing material of a roll type, which is laid in 2 layers;
- to exclude subsidence of brickwork, it is necessary to apply the method of tight bonding with the foundation, for which, every 2 rad of the supporting structure, drill holes of 5 cm and insert reinforcement of 10 cm into them, it connects the lining and the wall;
- masonry is carried out in spoon rows in half a brick, and a layer of insulation should be laid between the cladding and the base itself;
- the thermal insulation material of the foundation is joined with a similar layer of the facade, which will prevent the formation of cracks.
To design the foundation of the house, only high-quality brick without defects is used.
Bricks of different shapes look very impressive in the design of buildings
Brick for finishing the foundation can be any color, but a dense structure is required.
Facing the basement of the building allows you to protect the base from the negative effects of natural phenomena and give the house an aesthetic appearance. The quality of materials, compliance with the technology of work, preliminary preparation are the key to the durability of the coating.