Almost every motorist has the biggest headache - how to reliably save his car. A major garage solves the problem. But not completely. After all, to avoid theft or damage to the car does not mean ensuring its complete safety. When storing in the garage, there is another serious enemy for the car - the presence of condensation inside the room leads to metal corrosion and rotting of the car. Good ventilation and properly made waterproofing of the roof of the garage will help to avoid this.
Garage Roof Waterproofing
Garage roof waterproofing is the protection of the room from moisture. The hydrobarrier guarantees dryness in the garage and creates an optimal microclimate for long-term storage of the car in it. All work comes down to applying a protective coating to the roof surface. And for this it is not necessary to be a builder or roofer, you can make waterproofing quickly and easily on your own.
Proper application of a waterproofing coating on the roof of the garage guarantees the durability and integrity of the roof and the entire structure as a whole
What is waterproofing for?
The main purpose of waterproofing is to provide the best conditions for parking a car, which, to a large extent, depends on its service life. The waterproofing of the roof of the garage protects the structure itself, and, therefore, what is stored there:
- does not allow external moisture to penetrate;
- timely removes condensate, protecting the roof from freezing, and the interior of the garage from damage;
- protects the room from mold, decay, fungus that appear due to high humidity;
- increases the effectiveness of roofing and insulation materials.
Waterproofing the garage does not require large investments and is affordable for all car owners, especially if you do it yourself. It is only necessary to choose high-quality insulating material and adhere to elementary rules when performing work.
Sometimes there are waterproofing schemes, where, in order to save money, it is proposed not to lay a layer of insulation and not to make vapor barrier. Such savings will lead to dampness in the garage over time, since it is the heater that maintains a comfortable temperature in the room during sudden atmospheric changes from the outside, and the vapor barrier prevents the heater from accumulating excess moisture.
In a garage with a well-waterproofed roof, your car will be cozy and comfortable.
Video: how to simultaneously insulate and waterproof the roof
Types of roofs for waterproofing
Waterproofing is universal. You can do it on any kind of roof. The sectional design resembles a “layer cake” of three components - a hydro barrier, thermal insulation and a vapor barrier.
All works on waterproofing sloping roofs (single or gable) are as follows:
- the roof is covered by any roofing material (tile, ondulin, slate and others);
- a waterproof layer is laid under it (waterproofing film);
- followed by a layer of insulation (polystyrene, basalt wool, mineral wool);
- then a vapor barrier layer (vapor barrier film);
- Roofing is in progress.
If polyurethane foam is used as a heater, which hermetically fills all voids, then vapor barrier can be omitted, and immediately after spraying proceed to the inner lining.
Scheme of proper waterproofing of a gable roof with equipped heat and steam insulation
The main types of waterproofing of sloping roofs: built-up, roll and film.
When waterproofing the pitched roof, the work was carried out indoors, but here the process goes as if in the reverse order - building up a “layer cake” outside the building:
- floor slabs are laid and cleaned of dirt;
- places of joints caulk with fiberglass or seal with foam;
- a layer of insulation (foam insulation, foam) is placed with an overlap in two layers and fixed with a construction film;
- a sand-cement screed is made 3-4 cm thick for leveling and is coated with mastic or primer;
- then follows a waterproofing layer (roofing material is more often used as a cheap and affordable material or under-roof film);
- it is poured with hot bituminous resin into which, for durability and greater frost resistance, it is desirable to introduce special additives made of reinforced fiber, or roofing material is laid with fusing using a gas burner.
Scheme waterproofing flat roof garage with steam and heat barrier. Such waterproofing maintains a good microclimate in the garage and reliably protects the room from rain
The main types of waterproofing of flat roofs: surfaced, coated, mounted and sprayed.
Features of waterproofing different types of garages
In order for the hydraulic protection of the garage to be of high quality, regardless of the type of roof and type of garage, insulation materials must meet certain requirements, such as:
- moisture resistance - the main condition for ensuring dryness in the garage, for which waterproofing is done;
- heat permeability - to maintain optimal indoor temperature;
- strength - the ability to resist deformation due to possible loads;
- elasticity - additional protection against the destruction of the waterproofing layer and, as a result, the ingress of moisture into the garage.
At the moment, there are many insulating materials, but most of all car owners prefer a reliable and tested over the years roofing material and special membrane materials as the most effective.
Waterproofing iron roof
Iron garages are very common - lightweight small architectural design is much easier to build and document. When the roof of the metal garage is flat, or the garage is located in the area of cold winters and high humidity, then use mastic with roofing material or liquid rubber.
Waterproofing of an iron garage roof by spraying liquid rubber. After polymerization, an elastic, seamless, one-piece rubber coating with excellent adhesion to the surface is obtained.
Often there are iron garages with a sloping roof. In such cases, it is better to choose membrane insulation materials for waterproofing - a multilayer sheet whose standard dimensions are 2 mm thick, 1–1.5 m wide, and 50–60 m long. Membrane polymer insulators have several advantages:
- you can work with them at any time of the year;
- well withstand sudden changes in temperature (from -60 ° C to +120 ° C) and ultraviolet radiation;
- service life of 50 years and above;
- excellent diffuse qualities, which prevents the accumulation of moisture inside the insulating layer.
The algorithm for laying membrane materials is simple. But due to the fact that the iron garage is still non-capital, the hydroprotection of such a structure must be taken seriously.
- We make ventilation gaps between the membrane and the roof. As a rule, we leave a gap of the order of 2.5 mm, for a well-insulated roof - 5 mm.
- We lay insulating material superimposed on each other freely, without effort, so that it does not burst from stretching. In membrane materials from a good manufacturer, dashed lines indicate the joints, which facilitates installation.
- With a stapler using stainless steel brackets, we securely fasten the insulator to the roof frame.
- We fix the cloths with special waterproof tape or other fixing materials.
Be sure to adhere to the installation instructions, as each manufacturer of membrane products has its own nuances.
Concrete roof waterproofing
When installing a concrete barrier hydrobarrier, work is performed according to the method of insulating a flat roof. You need to start with the insulation of the concrete garage. Extruded polystyrene is a good solution for this, as a simple and convenient material for installation with sufficient strength and affordable cost.
It is advisable to use sheets with grooves, their fastening to each other is more tenacious, therefore eliminates all cold bridges. If foam is used with even edges, then the sheets need to be laid apart from each other at a small distance and subsequently fill all the gaps with mounting foam.
Waterproofing the concrete roof of the garage. The roofing material is rolled out on the base to the melted bitumen with an overlap of at least 10 cm. Particular attention should be paid to places of contact with parapets, smoke and ventilation systems
Waterproofing an underground garage
Waterproofing of the underground garage is done from the inside of the room with penetrating materials: Lakhta® - increases frost resistance from F100 to F200 and water resistance of concrete by 3 steps (DW6), Kalmafleks® with excellent water resistance to W12 and frost resistance (F300), as well as Kristallin W16, Kristallizol W12. These are dry compositions that are diluted with water in the proportions specified by the manufacturer, and then applied with a roller or a building brush to a slightly moistened surface. The insulator fills the microcracks of the treated surface and blocks the penetration of moisture.
You can use traditional bituminous resin, but penetrating waterproofing for closed garages is more reliable, high-quality and durable, which is important for underground structures that are exposed to groundwater.
To work, you need a minimum of tools, it is easy to calculate the amount of penetrating insulator, knowing the dimensions of all work surfaces and the consumption of a particular insulation material (indicated on the package).
Video: self-waterproofing in an underground garage with Kristallizol
Slate roof garage waterproofing
Among the variety of roofing materials, slate is still among the leaders. It is different:
- good indicators of durability and water resistance;
- excellent sound absorption during rain and lack of condensation;
- high degree of protection against solar radiation;
- low weight, reasonable price;
- fire resistance;
- withstands mechanical loads;
- easy to paint;
- easy to install.
But along with this, the slate roof is fragile, its edges often break off, a lichen appears on the shadow side over time, and the waterproof properties decrease over the years. Therefore, a garage with a slate roof needs additional protection - heat and waterproofing. As a waterproofing material, roofing material, a waterproofing film or membrane materials are most often used, laying them under the crate. You need to lay roofing material in vertical rows, carefully throwing it over the ridge of the roof and slowly unrolling the roll. They overlap and fasten with a stapler.
It is imperative to make thermal insulation, for example, of fiberglass and knocked down with building board to hold it.
Waterproofing the slate roof with a film laid under the crate will protect the insulation from getting wet, if suddenly condensation appears on the inside of the roof
Types of waterproofing garage
Apply different technologies for waterproofing the garage roof. Consider the most affordable and therefore more common.
The okay isolation method can be put in the first place. Previously, glassine, roofing and ruberoid were used for such hydroprotection, today they are replaced by new modern rolled polymeric materials. The okey technique allows waterproofing the roof of any shape.
There is nothing complicated in such insulation - with the help of binding components, the roof surface in 3-4 layers is glued with flexible waterproofing sheets.
Roof waterproofing is the oldest and most common waterproofing method. The principle of implementation consists in the use of sheet and roll waterproofing materials: roofing material, glassine, roofing felt, glass fiber, isol, hydroisol, isoplast, polyethylene
The paint method of roofing insulation is the second most recognized among car owners. Liquid viscous insulating compounds (polymer bitumen varnishes and paints) are applied to the working plane, creating a 2 mm thick waterproof protective cover. Epoxy-rubber cold insulating strapping and bitumen-polymer hot insulators are considered effective. The absence of seams and joints provides high-quality protection against moisture penetration. It is better to use one-component polyurethane resins. They are easy to apply and durable.
When choosing such waterproofing, it is imperative that the geotextile reinforce the abutment zones and complex nodes in the design of the garage roof to prevent cracking in these places.
Paint waterproofing the roof with polymer paints creates a continuous seamless cover. Apply 3-4 layers. The latter is covered with fine-grained sand. Thus, high coating strength is achieved.
The film hydrobarrier is made on pitched garage roofs. A good method of waterproofing, because the insulating polypropylene film is durable, does not absorb moisture and does not lend itself to decay. But you need skills and the ability to accurately lay a film insulator with a longitudinal overlap of the canvases.
The waterproofing of the garage roof with a film reliably protects insulation materials that can absorb condensate. Film waterproofing creates conditions for free evaporation of moisture into the atmosphere
Insulation with sheet material is used in cases where, under the action of heavy loads, other coatings are able to collapse. The principle of insulation - the roof plane is covered with steel sheets that are welded together. The result is a continuous waterproof coating.
To reduce the cost of this type of waterproofing, steel sheets can be replaced with plastic insulating materials, welded by hot air.
Rigid roof waterproofing with metal sheets. The sheet insulator is bonded to each other and to the roof structure by welding, anchors, screws, dowels, glue and forms a waterproof, long-life hydraulic barrier
Mastic roof waterproofing
Mastic (liquid) waterproofing is considered to be a profitable method of creating hydroblocks, due to the fact that no additional consumables are needed when using it. Mastic in itself is a good viscous compound that reliably connects different bases.
Types of liquid waterproofing: advantages and disadvantages
The most common types of liquid waterproofing.
- Using polyurethane mastic. It is produced on the basis of polyurethane resin and thanks to additives has a high level of stickiness. It is suitable for insulating almost any surface: plaster, concrete or wood, roofing material, iron, which are often combined on one roof (concrete substrates and metal exhaust pipes). It eliminates all sorts of leaks even in the most complex fragments of the roof. Sometimes polyurethane mastic is sprinkled with quartz sand to reduce slipping.
- Using polyurea. It is called a spray waterproofing. This is a two-component coating based on polyurethane resins. It is applied by a spraying unit where precise mixing and heating of all components (basic component and curing enzyme) takes place. The main advantage is instant surface polymerization and speed of application. But with this method of waterproofing, the deviation of the ratio of components and an unprepared waterproofing surface is unacceptable. This is fraught with negative consequences - the formation of craters and stickiness due to incomplete polymerization.
Polyurea roof waterproofing is characterized by spraying speed and instant polymerization. Before spraying, the treated surface is thoroughly cleaned.
- Using bitumen mastic. It is mainly used on sloping roofs where there is no stagnation of water. One of the varieties of bitumen resin is liquid rubber.
The advantages of liquid insulation:
- good chemical resistance (not amenable to oxidative processes, ultraviolet and corrosion);
- the possibility of use in regions with severe winter cold;
- diffusion, seamlessness, elasticity and maintainability.
One of the drawbacks can be called one, but significant - all mastics, except liquid rubber, are forbidden to be applied to wet surfaces.
Stucco waterproofing the roof
The plaster material is suitable for the insulation of reinforced concrete substrates. To create a thin multilayer hydrocoating (2 mm) mastics, gunned cement, hot asphalt mortars or cold ones are used, which allow mechanizing the application of the insulating composition and do not require the installation of a protective fence.
Recently, polymer-cement coatings, polymer-concrete and colloidal-cement mortars are increasingly used.
Plaster waterproofing the roof of the garage on a steel mesh - a full guarantee against delamination. The waterproofness of the plaster waterproofing depends on the thickness of the applied layer, which should be at least 15 mm
Tiled roof waterproofing
Some types of tiles themselves already have waterproofing properties. It stands out among them as the most waterproof - flexible bituminous tiles. It is easy to fit, beautiful in appearance and does not require any care.
It is worth noting the sand-cement tile, which over time not only does not lose its water resistance, but also strengthens this property. Ceramic tiles also have good waterproofing properties, but they gradually begin to absorb moisture, which means that its use requires additional protective measures.
Video: device of steam and waterproofing on the roof, screwing metal
In addition to the popular methods of waterproofing the roof, there are a number of others: membrane waterproofing and penetrating (we wrote about them above), as well as cast waterproofing - perhaps the most reliable, where hot mastics (asphalt-ceramite-concrete, bitumoperlite, foam epoxy) are poured 2-3 times in continuous layers, total thickness 25 mm.
Cast asphalt hydrobarrier is a surface coating with a hot solution of asphalt mix in 2-3 layers. Each of which is leveled with scrapers, and the last one is made of concrete or cement screed
But whatever the waterproofing of the roof, there is a general mandatory line of work:
- preparation of an insulated plane;
- arrangement of waterproofing and, if necessary, a protective fence;
- sealing joints, joints and joints of the insulating coating.
When choosing a scheme for waterproofing a garage roof, they are guided by expediency - they prefer insulation materials, which at the same cost and reliability make it possible to exclude the seasonality of work and simplify (mechanize) installation.
Types of waterproofing materials
There are no strict rules on the choice of waterproofing materials for a particular type of roof. Each isolator has its pros and cons. The main task is to prevent external moisture beyond the waterproofing layer, to provide condensate drainage and ventilation of the garage.
And yet, when buying, it is advisable to adhere to such parameters as:
- practicality and profitability of waterproofing material;
- environmental friendliness and safety;
- the complexity of waterproofing.
Liquid rubber - mastic of cold use. It is produced on the basis of polymer-bitumen emulsion and is characterized by instant curing. It is applied by spraying, which makes it possible to obtain a durable seamless hydrocoating in the shortest possible time.
The main characteristics of the rubber coating:
- easily restored and repaired;
- resistant to chemical compounds;
- easy to install.
In addition, liquid rubber is easily combined with water-based paints, which allows you to choose the desired color of the coating and non-viscous, so it can be used for waterproofing vertical surfaces.
Liquid rubber is applied in 2 layers, preferably in different colors, to avoid omissions. The processing process is simple and fast. For comparison, a roof of 800 m² with liquid rubber will be processed by 2 people in 2 days, and the laying of rolled material will be completed in 2 weeks.
Video: spraying liquid rubber on the roof
The hydroisol can be of two types: roll - asbestos-impregnated with oil bitumen and mastic (liquid) based on polymer bitumen. It is used as a roofing material and waterproofing. The hydroisol is universal, it can be used on any surface: concrete, metal, wood, etc.
Characteristics of roll hydroisol:
- excellent water resistance and elasticity;
- high tensile strength (from 40 to 60 kgf);
- durable, brittle temperature from -15 ° C, which means you can work with it at sub-zero temperatures;
- heat resistant;
- service life more than 15 years;
- good sound insulation;
- easy to install.
Laying a roll of waterproofing is done in two ways: cold - a simple but not the most reliable method and hot, in which it is important to prevent overheating, otherwise the material may ignite and deform.
Characteristics of mastic hydroisol:
- low water absorption (0.2%);
- high heat resistance (up to 95 ° C);
- good density and short drying period (up to 48 hours);
- low consumption - an average of 0.2 liters per 1 m², for a concrete or wooden surface from 0.5 to 1.5 liters per 1 m²;
- durability (service life up to 30 years).
Application of mastic is done with a brush or staple, alone. You do not need to heat anything. Before applying it, the surface should be well cleaned and coated with a primer (a mixture of hydroisol with a solvent - kerosene, gasoline, solvent in a ratio of 1: 2).
Video: mastic waterproofing for roofing
Other types of waterproofing materials
Of modern hydraulic materials for the roof, Anticon is worth highlighting. Its tensile strength reaches 553 N / 5 cm, and the ability to absorb water is 300% per unit of its weight and Elkatek Extra L, in which similar indicators are 553 N / 5 cm and 680% per unit weight (i.e. 155 g / m² in 4 seconds).
Their feature is that they are made on the basis of polymer and anti-condensation fabric. And the three-layer Elkatek Standart from the same series has a reinforcing mesh inside. That is, the reliability of the coating of these insulating substrates is beyond competition.
Photo gallery: modern polymer waterproofing materials
- Elkatek Standart consists of three layers: the main layer is a reinforcing mesh of polyethylene strips and two external polyethylene films
- High absorbency Anticon is used as an additional waterproofing of pitched roofs
- Elkatek Extra L protects against excess moisture and prevents condensation on the inside of the roofing material
Do-it-yourself garage roof waterproofing
Hydro protection of the garage roof is a simple process and it is easy to complete all the steps yourself. As an example, consider the waterproofing of a flat roof using roofing material.
To complete the work you will need:
- roofing material and a knife for cutting it;
- sand-cement mortar and bitumen emulsion;
- construction brushes, spatulas, brushes and a gas burner.
- Preparatory stage. The old (if any) waterproofing coating is removed. The surface is thoroughly cleaned with a broom or a construction vacuum cleaner. If the working base is concrete, then it needs to be sanded, and the mounting points of the slabs should be brushed with a hard brush.
- Surface treatment. We check the presence of cracks and cracks and seal them with sand-cement mortar, fiberglass or foam. We lay the insulation and make a cement screed with a slight slope (about 4 °) over the entire surface so that atmospheric precipitation flows down, rather than accumulating in puddles. After hardening the screed, primer the working surface with a bitumen emulsion. Usually in one coat, but can be coated twice.
Surface treatment before roofing of the roofing material: repairing cracks, leveling with screed and applying emulsion
- Roofing coating. It is advisable to lay roofing material in 3 layers so that each top layer overlaps the joints of the bottom. Rolling a roll of roofing material, warm it with a burner - as soon as the outline from the inside of the roll begins to deform, the coating is rolled.
Ruberoid tapes are laid with an overlap of 10 cm.
Video: how to waterproof a flat roof
The worst thing for a car is corrosion. Oddly enough, it’s not the precipitation that causes the most damage, but the dampness of the closed room where the car is stored. Neglecting the waterproofing of the garage leads to sad consequences, the timely waterproofing will help to avoid them. We hope that from our article you learned everything about it and now you can easily do waterproofing with your own hands. Your car will be grateful for the care shown. Good luck to you.