Car owners pay increased attention to the technical equipment of their garage. The main role in this is assigned to the installation of durable gates, distinguished by functionality and aesthetics. Especially popular are the lifting gates, which are easy to manufacture and install with your own hands.
Features of lifting garage doors
When planning to equip a vehicle storage room with home-made lifting mechanisms, carefully familiarize yourself with their design and operational features.
The lifting gates are convenient and functional. They can be controlled directly from the car.
Carefully analyze the positive aspects of the design, study the negative points.
Gate design options: which one to choose
In garage rooms use various types of lifting gates:
- Fences of the lifting-sectional type. They are characterized by the sectional structure of the web made of individual elements. During the opening of the gates, the panels of the lifting-sectional structure are moved along the guide rails using rollers inside the garage. Low strength and manufacturing complexity limit the interest of motorists in this design.
Sectional door panels are hinged, so they are not strong enough
- Swing guard. They are a one-piece web coated with durable sheet steel. The door is folded using a special mechanism along the guides located in the ceiling of the garage. In the open position, the door leaf forms a small visor above the entrance to the room. Lifting and swivel mechanisms are also called swivel. The absence of complex elements of kinematics, increased strength and simplicity of design allow vehicle owners to manufacture and assemble this type on their own.
The one-piece web of the swing gate is more durable
Lifting gates with a rotary mechanism reliably protect the garage. For their manufacture, you can use purchased components or use self-made elements. The latter option will significantly save money.
Advantages of rotary garage doors
The lifting structure compares favorably with other types of garage rails. The main advantages:
- High strength. The use of high-quality material provides reliable protection against hacking.
- Resistance to corrosion. The design of the door leaf makes it difficult to penetrate moisture.
- Save space in front of the garage. The canvas suspended on the hard guides in the open state is located above the car, thereby freeing the entire carriageway for maneuvering during parking.
- The ability to decorate the outer surface of the gate.
The door trim with decorative panels improves the appearance of the door and the entire garage
- Effective thermal insulation. Thermal insulation panels help maintain a comfortable indoor temperature.
- Convenience of operation. The device can be opened directly from the machine, if equipped with a remote control mechanism.
- Wide scope. They are installed in garage spaces intended for storing one or two cars.
There are gates for a garage and two cars
Disadvantages of a hinged door
Any gate design, along with advantages, has certain disadvantages. The lifting-rotary mechanism is no exception:
- Possibility of mounting only in openings of the correct rectangular shape. Violation of geometry causes jamming and uneven fit.
- Reducing the useful height of the entrance opening in the open position. This makes it difficult to freely enter the car with a loaded upper trunk.
Entry height with open lifting gates reduced by 20 cm
- The impossibility of local repair of the canvas. To restore damaged areas requires a complete replacement of the gate.
- Dependence of the mass of the rotary structure on the stiffness of the springs. After additional cladding and installation of insulation, adjustment is required.
- Clearance around the perimeter of the web and opening. Partially eliminated by installing an elastic seal.
Lifting gate device
The main parts of the lifting structures are a metal power frame, a pivotally fixed web and a movement mechanism.
Elevating gate construction elements are not as numerous as it might seem
The frame of the structure is made of steel profiles of rectangular cross-section or durable wooden beams. It is a power element that carries the main load. The box is fixed in the garage doorway and secures the suspension associated with the movement mechanism.
The pivoting sash must comply with the parameters of the garage opening. The canvas is a frame made of metal profiles. It is sewn up with steel sheets or sandwich panels. In order to reduce costs, wooden shields are sometimes used. To protect the door leaf from corrosion, it can be upholstered with galvanized steel. Decorative panels mounted on the outside give an additional appeal to the fence.
Gates can be decorated with decorative panels, then they will look especially beautiful
What the lifting mechanism consists of
The gate opening device involves the use of one of the following mechanisms:
- articulated lever, characterized by reliability and simple design. It allows you to lift the leaf with simultaneous rotation and prevent blocking. During installation, it is important to ensure the accuracy of the installation of the rails and to adjust the springs to facilitate movement;
- counterbalanced drive used for massive canvases. Such gates are made of thick sheet steel or hardwood. The device includes a steel cable fixed in the corners of the metal structure and passing through the winch block to the counterweight. Sometimes a steel chain is used instead of a cable. In a design with counterweights, the balancers act as springs, compensating for the mass of the gate.
Scheme of the lifting mechanism
The opening of the lifting gate with the help of a hinged-lever structure is carried out thanks to the rollers and lifting levers. The web is moved along the guides mounted on the ceiling of the garage.
Movable roller support for smooth movement of the door leaf
After lifting the canvas is fixed in the ceiling of the garage. At the same time, the bottom of the sash forms a canopy over the opening. With the flaps closed, the springs are in a stretched state and in the open position in a compressed state.
Articulated door elements make up a complex mechanism
Many car owners equip the vehicle storage rooms with an articulated lever construction.
Opening the shield web can be carried out manually or using a special electric drive, providing for the possibility of remote control.
The use of an electric drive facilitates the opening of the gate
DIY gate preparation
The preliminary stage includes the choice of design, the development of your own scheme or the study of existing documentation and the selection of the finished drawing. This will determine the need for materials, as well as prepare the necessary equipment and tools.
The choice of design solutions and the development of the drawing according to available sizes
Determining the design of the lifting fence, use a proven technical solution - a lever mechanism with a hinge.
Carrying out measurements of a garage doorway is a mandatory operation carried out at the design stage.
You can independently develop a sketch of the future design.
A standard sketch will help you snap the design to the size of your garage
If design skills are not available, it is advisable to use ready-made documentation.
According to the finished drawing, it will be easier for you to make the necessary gate details
Having studied the documentation, you should put down on it the actual dimensions of the garage. This will determine the need for materials.
When choosing materials, pay attention to their strength and fire safety.
The choice of materials and accessories depends on the size of the opening, the design of the door and the degree of automation.
The basic kit that allows you to independently make a lifting structure with a lever mechanism includes:
- a metal pipe of rectangular section measuring 6x12 cm with a wall thickness of 3-4 mm, necessary for the manufacture of a frame;
- wooden bars with a cross section of 8x12 cm, from which you can make a box if you do not have a rectangular steel pipe;
It is better to make a frame from a metal pipe, but if it is not there, you can use wooden blocks
- metal pins and brackets necessary for attaching the door frame to the opening;
- a set of steel channels No. 8 or 10, as well as 4x4 cm corners used for folding hinge elements and guide rails;
- a square steel pipe with a side of 4 cm for assembling the door frame;
The door frame is also made of metal pipe.
- compensation springs made of wire with a diameter of 3 cm for the drive mechanism;
- a rubber seal that allows you to compensate for gaps along the perimeter of the structure;
- steel sheets with a thickness of 3 mm, board boards or sandwich panels necessary for sewing the door leaf;
- a set of equipment for assembling an electric drive, if it is planned to equip with automation;
Installing an electric drive allows you to control the door remotely
- plastic panels or decorative finishing materials that allow lining from the outside;
- insulation - mineral wool, polystyrene or expanded polystyrene.
All materials should be previously cut into blanks that meet the requirements of project documentation.
In the process, you will need the following tools and electrical equipment:
- 5 meter long tape measure, construction level;
- a set of wrenches and a set of various screwdrivers;
- electric drill complete with drills;
- a grinder with a cutting wheel with a diameter of 180 mm;
- apparatus for electric welding.
A standard set of electrical equipment and locksmith tools will allow you to independently manufacture lifting gates.
Recommendations for the assembly and installation of lifting gates for the garage
Work on the manufacture of gate elements and installation of the assembled structure requires preliminary familiarization with step-by-step instructions.
Sequence of operations
The manufacture and installation of swing gate assemblies is carried out according to the following algorithm:
- Weld the power box using rectangular metal pipes. If necessary, you can assemble the gate frame from wooden blocks.
Prior to the final welding, slightly “grab” metal beams so that the frame of the frame acquires the necessary strength
- Clean out irregularities and sagging that have formed after welding has finished.
Removing bumps and sag after welding will improve the appearance of the door
- Lock the frame in the doorway using steel rods and brackets. Deepen the lower beam of the frame 2 cm below the floor.
- Assemble the door leaf frame corresponding to the dimensions of the opening, taking into account the necessary clearances for the assembly. Join the workpieces by electric welding.
- Sheathe the frame with sheet material using welding. When using sandwich panels or wooden panels, fix the sheathing with self-tapping screws. If necessary, install insulation sheets.
- Fasten the rubber seal around the perimeter. Its height should correspond to the gap between the blade and the box installed in the opening.
- Fabricate support arms of the linkage. Drill mounting holes.
- Mount the guide rails from the channel or two welded corners in the ceiling of the room. This will provide the ability to move the rollers of the articulated mechanism.
- Bolt the hinges to move the sash.
- Pre-assemble the assembled door leaf in the garage doorway. Mark the fixing points of the swivel joints.
Pre-installation of the structure allows you to determine the correctness of the fabric
- Check that the levers can move freely along the guide rails. If necessary, change the coordinates of the attachment points. Pay attention to the parallel arrangement of the levers.
- Final fasten the elements (after adjusting the position) using standard fasteners and electric welding.
- Install return springs on opposite sides of the leaf, ensuring that they are parallel.
The springs on both sides of the gate must have the same stiffness
- Check the operation of the spring mechanism. It must ensure complete closure of the gate. If necessary, pick up the necessary counterweights.
- Seal the joints around the perimeter of the power box using cement mortar. Install decorative overlays on a contour of a gate frame.
- Paint the structural elements.
Making the mechanism according to the step-by-step instruction, check the conformity of sizes. Refer to the values indicated on the drawing or sketch.
How to insulate the canvas
To prevent heat from leaving the room through the wings, they must be insulated. To do this, you can use polystyrene, basalt wool or polystyrene panels.
Guided by fire safety considerations, it is better to use fire-resistant materials, such as basalt cotton wool or expanded polystyrene foam, for insulation.
For complete insulation, a rubber sealant is used. It is installed around the perimeter of the building envelope. The tight fit of the elastic seal along the contour of the opening makes it difficult for cold air to enter the garage.
Nuances of operation: what needs to be done so that the canvas opens well and does not tip over
It is important to comply with specific requirements to ensure trouble-free operation. Pay attention to the following points:
- Periodic lubrication of articulated elements. The ingress of foreign bodies and dust will make it difficult for the gate wing to move freely.
Lubrication of moving parts ensures easy opening
- The absence of distortions of the articulated levers, providing the opening of the door leaf without jamming.
- Adjustment of spring tension. The tension may weaken over time, then the flaps will not open. If the spring is “pulled”, the sash may tip over.
- Proper selection of the design of the purchased electric drive. The pulling force of the mechanism should ensure smooth movement of the gate.
- Failsafe operation of the lock providing reliable protection.
- The ability to perform on the canvas inserts of translucent material that will increase the illumination of the room.
With the correct operation of the swing-and-swing gate, problem situations will not arise. It is important to monitor the condition of the structure during use and, if necessary, to eliminate defects in time.
Video: what to make home-made gates with a remote folding mechanism
The gates of the hoisting and swinging structure can be made independently. This is a serious but feasible task. Use properly designed documentation, follow manufacturing techniques, and use quality materials. The result - equipping your own garage with reliable lifting flaps, significant savings in cash and additional skills in working with the tool.